The iconic Merino wool sweater is a staple in any woman’s wardrobe, cared for properly it can stay with you for life. Merino wool is soft, breathable, comfortable and can elevate any look from casual to sophisticated. With all of our Merino Wool sourced right here in Australia, David Lawrence prides itself on the quality of its garments, making it an investment piece that will take from season to season if you follow these simple tips.
The Benefits of Wool
Merino wool is natural, renewable and comfortable which is why it’s so popular and sought after. Here are some things you need to know about why you should invest in more Merino pieces.
- The benefits are hard to fault; it’s comfortable, soft and resilient to wear. Merino wool is 100% natural and biodegradable only takes a few years to decompose.
- Knitwear can be worn all year round in all kinds of climates and is a highly efficient insulator. They have the ability to change in different temperatures and humidity; absorbing its own moisture and allowing the heat to move away from your body and evaporate. This keeps you cool and fresh in hot temperatures and toasty and warm in colder weather.
- Merino wool fibres are strong and long lasting. Yarn selection in merino wool is vital to the comfort, style and longevity of design. Knitwear pieces with more yarn give a thicker and denser texture, while less yarn creates a slightly softer garment.
- Aside from being a luxurious and resilient texture, merino wool gives a superior drape with a natural resistance to wrinkles. Merino wool is a versatile fabric that can be used 100% on its own and also with a variety of fabrics and fine knits. A flexible fibre, it’s been used in innovative developments such as merino lace and jersey; both ideal for warmer weather.
- Merino wool is widely recognized as the most non-flammable fibre due to its natural fire resistant properties. One of the safest fibres in the world, it also offers natural protection from ultraviolet light.
Here are some tips to help your favorite pieces stay with you forever in the best condition, so you can live in them and love them time and time again.
- Always read the label before washing your woolen pieces and never machine wash unless otherwise stated. Stick to hand washing or professional dry cleaning to ensure the durability, shape and colour remains strong.
- Allow the garment to dry naturally before ironing and use the lowest setting to iron out any creases. Ideally the garment should be dried flat and out of sunlight to retain its shape and longevity.
- Keep moths and holes at bay by storing your woolen pieces during the hotter months in a sealed plastic container. Use one with substantial room so the shape of the garment is not compromised.
- Regain life and shape into an old knit by turning it inside out and laying it flat on a hard surface while damp. Gently mold back into shape, adjusting by hand.
Image Source: Woolmark