Cooking can sometimes seem like a chore at the best times and come summertime with the mercury and humidity rising, the last place we want to be is next to a simmering stove. This doesn’t mean we should throw in the towel and opt for take-away or microwave meals every night. There are plenty of healthy recipes to follow to ensure we are still getting the nutrients we need with minimal fuss and without breaking a sweat.
We’ve compiled some of our favourite dishes to put together this summer.
Raw Detox Chopped Salad
2 cups kale, chopped
2 cups spinach, chopped
1/2 cup broccoli, finely chopped
Handful fresh parsley, chopped,
1/2 purple cabbage, finely chopped
1 cucumber, chopped
1 apple, chopped
1 tbsp hemp seeds
1 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp raw pepitas
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1.5-2 tbsp 100% raw honey
2 cups olive oil
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
1-2 tsp cinnamon, to taste
1 tsp Himalayan salt, to taste
1 squeeze of lemon
1. Wash and chop vegetables finely and mix into a large salad bowl.
2. Combine dressing ingredients and pour onto salad.
3. Using hands, massage dressing into the vegetables.
4. Sprinkle hemp seeds, sesame seeds, and pepitas onto salad.
These help your immune system so you stay fighting fit to get out and about in the beautiful summer sun and enjoy your leisure time.
Peach Ginger Spice Smoothie
1 tbsp ginger, finely minced
4 fresh peaches
1 cup almond milk
1 tsp of turmeric
Peel and halve 4 white peaches. Grate 1 tsp of fresh ginger. Add all ingredients to blender and blend for 60 seconds.
Love-Massaged Kale Salad with Roasted Cauliflower Steaks
Small head of kale
1 tbsp olive oil
Himalayan sea salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
For Cauliflower Steak:
1 large head of cauliflower
1/2 cup black olives, pitted
4 thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes
3 1/2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp fresh parsley
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
For Tomato Sauce:
2 plum tomatoes, quartered
3 garlic cloves
1 tbsp hemp seeds
2-3 tsp red-pepper chilli flakes (add more as you please)
1/2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped finely
1. Thoroughly wash, trim, and chop kale. Drizzle tablespoon of olive oil and a tablespoon of lemon juice onto kale. Massage into kale with 1/2 avocado, using your hands. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, set aside.
2. Remove all leaves on the cauliflower and trim stem ends. Slice cauliflower into four 1/2″ ‘steaks’ from center of cauliflower. Finely chop 1/2 cup of loose florets. Place chopped florets in a small bowl and combine with olives, sun-dried tomatoes, 1 tbsp oil, parsley, and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper.
3. Preheat oven to 200° C. On medium-high heat, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large, ovenproof skillet. Cook cauliflower steaks until golden-brown, about 2 minutes per side. This should be done in 2 batches, and be sure to add 1 tbsp oil to pan between each batch. Move steaks to a large, rimmed baking sheet. Reserve skillet. Roast cauliflower for about 15 minutes, or until tender.
4. Return skillet to medium-high heat, adding garlic cloves and tomatoes. Cook until tomatoes are brown, then flip tomatoes over and transfer skillet to oven along with the cauliflower. Roast garlic and tomatoes in the oven for about 12 minutes or until tender.
5. Place roasted garlic, roasted tomatoes, hemp seeds, basil, and 1/2 tablespoon oil in a blender and purée until the mixture is smooth, adding salt and pepper to taste. Dish tomato sauce among plates. Place kale blend on each plate, adding 1 cauliflower steak on top; add relish on top for garnish/taste. Add a sprinkling of walnuts on top of each plate, and enjoy.
Cooling Carrot, Dill, And Avocado Salad With Lemon Vinaigrette
1 large head romaine or butter lettuce, chopped
2 heirloom carrots, peeled into strips (roasted or raw)
1 ripe avocado, pitted and diced
1/4 cup baby chives, minced
1/2 cup shaved radish
1 tbsp hemp seeds
Dill, for garnish
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp Himalayan sea salt
4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp fresh dill, mashed
If Roasting Carrots:
1. Preheat oven to 175° C.
2. Place whole carrots onto baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil. Mix until lightly covered with oil.
3. Bake until just tender, about 40 minutes-1 hour.
1. Place chopped lettuce in a large bowl.
2. Whisk together dressing and gently toss with lettuce.
3. Add carrot strips, avocado, and hemp seeds.
4. Toss and serve.
All recipes and body images sourced from Sakara and Refinery29
Main image source: healthyfoodguide.com.au